Changing the scene text after an event in the Harlow theme turned out to be quite easy (once it was pointed out to me, thanks Greyelf).
To do this, you need to create a variable in the first passage (launch passage)
(set: $visited to 0)
The variable can be called anything as long as it has the “$” before it.
Then is the passage that you want to change add
(if: $visited is 0)[
The first visit text goes between the first set  between the $visited and (else) and the second set (changes to) in the second set.
The when you come to where you want the event that changes things use
(set: $visited to 1)
when will then trigger the change in passage text.
This just scrapes what can be done with variables, but it serves me
As I work through the next version of my Interactive Fiction I started looking into changing how the background is displayed. Once I remembered my CSS, this turned out to be simple.
(Please excuse the poor colouring here)
To make this change I first exported the file to html and dropped it into a folder. I then created the background image and saved it into the same folder as the html file.
To make the change you then have to click on the button at the bottom left and click “Edit Story Style”.
This make the CSS window open (empty)
Then you add
This (as shown in the above image) only changes the main display section where the main body of the text appears.
There is more here that can be edited, tw-story is the main holder container and you can change the fonts and the colours also from here.
I’m tired so thats all for now,
see you in port next time Airship Captains.
For longer then I have been writing I have always wanted to write an Interactive Fiction game (think Zork), but never having the idea or the skill to make one I have never given it much thought until last year when I discovered Inform7. While I made a start in Inform7 I found it to be difficult. I recently discovered Twine after someone else started using it and found it much easer to get along with.
This image is a sample from Twines layout panel showing how rooms (areas) connect (content blurred to stop spoilers). The coding is so much simple as it is far more “plain text” then Inform7 and includes HTML. The other great thing is that it outputs to a ready to use webpage.
The first version of the Interactive fiction has worked fine on several devices that took time to test, the one notable exception is that the experimental browser on the kindle touch is not able to load the page.
Now the alpha has finished I can concentrate on rewriting the manuscript to convert it into a more game like structure.
Well lets see how it looks next week.
See you in port next time Airship Captains.
Normally I save this for my other blog but I’m so hyped Transformers G1, the series I grew up is back for a new computer game!
Looks so cool to see the old boys back in action!